For those wanting to drive through the very best of Australia take the journey from Cairns in Queensland to Broome in Western Australia and experience Katherine in the Northern Territory from a whole new angle.
Be sure to give yourself plenty of time to see everything by allowing at least 10 days for the Northern Territory section or 20 days for the entire journey. The route is mainly sealed highway, with some stretches of gravel road, plus several challenging four-wheel drive detours to tackle.
TOP 5 THINGS TO DO
- Hook a Barramundi at Borroloola
- Canoe through the gorges at Nitmiluk National Park
- Explore Judbarra/Gregory National Park for panoramic views over the valley below
- Fly over Cape Crawford for breathtaking views of the Lost City
- Relax with a dip in the pandanus-fringed Mataranka Thermal Pools